TENURE TRACK FACULTY POSITION IN NEW MEDIA: THE UNIVERSITY OF MAINE
The University of Maine School of Computing and Information Science invites applications for a full-time, academic-year, tenure-track Assistant Professor for the New Media Program, effective August 28, 2017. Candidates with teaching and research interests in creative programming are encouraged to apply to enhance and/or complement UMaine’s New-Media strengths in digital storytelling; video, photographic, and audio production; Web design and development; rapid prototyping; and user experience and interaction design. Candidates may either be programming language experts who focus on creative content or creative artists with strong programming credentials.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaching introductory programming classes as well as upper-level courses in server-side development for the New Media BA and Minor.
- Advising and mentoring undergraduate students in New Media.
- Collaborating with students and colleagues to develop creative applications.
- Service to the school, the college, the university, and the profession.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications:
- Terminal degree (earned doctorate or MFA) in a discipline closely related to New Media required by date of hire.
- A rich and deep understanding of the contemporary field of digital culture is required.
- A commitment to excellence in teaching and research is required.
- Demonstrated skills in contributing to the New-Media research agenda are required.
- Extensive experience in writing custom software for new media contexts, such as online, mobile, and physical environments is required.
- Familiarity with such topics as user interface design, user interaction, and new media art and design practices required.
The application includes a cover letter with a URL for documentation of the candidate’s creative programming, preferably including at least one example of custom source code; a curriculum vitae; copies of graduate academic transcripts (photocopies acceptable for initial screening); and statements of both research and teaching interests.
APPLY HERE: UMAINE APPLICATION LINK
Review of applications will begin on February 15, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. Questions can be addressed to NewMediaSearch@umit.maine.edu.
Representatives of the New Media program will also be available to answer questions about the position at the College Art Association (CAA) conference in New York from 15-18 February.
The University of Maine is an EEO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.